LCS Global Group begins with the more than twenty-five years of experience Lance Croffoot-Suede has across the private, public and social sectors - worldwide - addressing governance and compliance challenges and breakdowns, and facilitating public-private-social sector partnerships to achieve economic and social development. Lance founded and built the International Governance and Development Practices at the global law firm Linklaters LLP into a Tier 1 practice in Corporate Governance, as recognized by Legal 500 in 2016 and 2017. Legal 500 also rated Lance as a Leading Lawyer in Corporate Governance in 2016 and 2017. Lance also is recognized as a Best Criminal Defense Lawyer in New York City for 2018.*
- Partner, Linklaters LLP in Dispute Resolution (2006-2017). Advisor on anti-bribery and corruption, governance and compliance, and business critical operational issues to General Counsels and other C-suite executives and Boards of Directors of multinational corporations, financial institutions, including private equity firms. Representative matters included:
- Internal investigations, and criminal and regulatory representation for financial institutions, multinational corporations, including in the extractive industries
Investigative, governance and financing mandates for multilaterals and development banks, e.g., World Bank, DFID, Islamic Development Bank
Litigated to successful conclusion portfolio of financial-crisis litigation emanating from the fund-linked derivatives desk of Barclays, including Barclays v. Bear Stearns Asset Mgt.
Lead Counsel in the precedent setting case of United States v. Fernandez, wherein the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit expanded a sentencing court's ability to consider the defendant's cooperation efforts, when those efforts are not credited by the prosecution.
Extensive work with multilateral, such as the World Bank Group, DFID, and Islamic Development Bank, and supranational such as the United Nations on investigative, governance and financing mandates
Creator of annual seminar, Advancing Good Governance in International Development, 2012-2017 in Oxford, with the International Federation of the Red Cross, CAMFED, The Blavatnik School of Government, Oxfam, the Oxford Department of International Development and the Skoll Center for Social Entrepreneurship at the Said Business School. The seminar has brought together thought leaders and practitioners from the academic, donor, NGO, public and private sectors to identify and address governance challenges.
Author of publications on Governance for supranationals, government agencies and NGOs launched and/or honored at the Skoll World Forum 2010, Clinton Global Initiative 2010, World Economic Forum 2016 and World Humanitarian Summit 2016
- Partner, White & Case in Dispute Resolution (2002-2006). Represented financial institutions and multinational corporations in multidistrict complex civil litigation, including securities and anti-trust class action defense. Criminal and regulatory counsel to individuals, financial institutions and multinational corporations in investigations and proceedings. Representative matters included:
- Counsel to Deutsche Bank on Enron multi-district litigation
- Counsel to Takeda Pharmaceuticals on multi-district “vitamins” litigation.
Distinguished record of pro bono service, including 12 years on the Criminal Justice Act panel in the Southern District of New York, representing indigent federal criminal defendants and working to make changes to criminal law that benefit all defendants
education and qualifications
- Lance holds a Juris Doctor from Harvard Law School, and studied English literature at Brandeis University, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- Speaks English and Italian
- Member of the New York Bar
- Member of the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- Member of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- "Governance Above and Beyond Compliance" Today's General Counsel, August 2016
- "Governance for the United Nations Development System - Adapting to meet the challenges of a changing world", launched at the World Economic Forum, 2016
- United Nations "Synthesis Report for the World Humanitarian Summit", 2016 (governance advisor and contributor)
- "DFID's Approach to Anti-Corruption and its Impact on the Poor"- prepared for UK Aid Watchdog ICAI, and published and presented to UK Parliament, October 2014
- "A 21st Century Model Based on Principles, not Rules" The Gulf, June 2014
- "Camfed Governance: Accounting to the Girl - Working Towards a Standard for Governance in the International Development Sector", launched at the Skoll World Forum, 2010
*Legal representation is available through The Law Office of Lance Croffoot-Suede, Esq.